The Golf Course
The River Club of Mequon is comprised of three distinct nines that provide an abundance of beauty and plenty of challenges. Built in 1963, it was these 338 acres of elegant terrain that allowed original course designer David Gill, with recent upgrades from architect Bob Lohman, to incorporate water, rolling grasslands and fairway-tightening timber into an enjoyable and stimulating test of golf for players of all skill levels. Four sets of tees help to promote parity and add enjoyment in every round of golf.
After a series of soil studies and strategic meetings involving the USGA’s senior agronomist, Robert Vavrek, The River Club’s golf course superintendent Jerry Panella and owner Tom Weickardt, a collaborative approach to continuous improvement for the entire golf course emerged. A multi-year strategy was put in place to upgrade the course’s overall conditions resulting in a significant investment in new turf equipment as well as some fresh architectural input from Mr. Lohman. In addition, a plan to expand and improve the club’s practice facilities is set to commence immediately. Every improvement is certain to appeal to the aesthetic sense of golfers for whom golf is a visual as well as visceral experience. And with 27 holes, this is a golf course that is available when you are.
These upgrades and developments, combined with the expert instruction from Head Golf Professional James Kelly and his team, gives every member of The River Club the opportunity to improve their golf game as well as enjoy the sensory qualities of the experience like never before.
Head Professional James Kelly
James began his professional career at Geneva National where he spent two years learning and then honing what it takes to run successful major events. He graduated to the private club realm as a top assistant at Merrill Hills. After three years as the top assistant at Fontana’s historic Big Foot Country Club, the venerable layout designed by architect Tom Bendelow (Medina, East Lake, Olympia Fields, etc..), James was ready to run his own show and hired to be The River Club’s Head Professional in 2016. He is also the first professional here to own the Golf Shop. On the instruction front, James’ first goal is to understand his student’s goals. He says he doesn’t so much attempt to 'make you better' as much as providing the kind of guidance that shortens the timeline for self-improvement and creating ways for Members to enjoy the game more.
FORMAL EDUCATION PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION
RCM Golf Score Card
- PGA Member Class “A”
- PGA Continuing Education in the Certified Professional Program
- Nike Junior Golf Academy Instructor
- Kinesiology and the Golf Swing
- Certified Taylor Made Club Fitter
- Certified Titleist Club Fitter
- Certified Ping Club Fitter
- Teaching golfers with disabilities
- Volunteer: Special Olympians the game of golf
- Associate of Applied Business – The Golf Academy of America (Honors)
- Bachelor of Golf Enterprise Management – University of Wisconsin-Stout
The Golf Course at The River Club of Mequon has hosted:
- US Open Local Qualifying
- The Milwaukee District Match Play Championship
- The Wisconsin State Open Championship
- 2012 WSGA State Junior Boy’s Championship
- 2013 WSGA The Director’s Cup - State Mid-Am
- 2014 Qualifying site for the WSGA State AM & Wisconsin State Open
- 2015 Qualifying site for USGA Mid-Amateur Championship
- 2016 Qualifying site WSGA State Amateur Championship
The golf shop is headquarters for all things golf at The River Club of Mequon, whether you’re looking for the latest equipment and apparel, or to schedule lessons or tee times -- on the course or in one of the club’s AboutGolf simulators. The RC golf shop is also a popular place for members to simply hangout and talk golf with a staff that lives and loves the game.
y: 7:00 a.m–
- Golf Instruction; Professional James Kelly and his staff offer individual and group lessons. Custom lesson packages may be individually tailored.
- Junior Golf Programs
- Club storage
- USGA Handicap Service
- Custom club-fitting service is available on either one of the simulators or on the range, weather permitting.
Wednesday: 7:00 a.m.
Thursday: 7:00 a.m.
Friday: 7:00 a.m.
Saturday: 6:30 a.m.
Golf Shop Off Season Hours
Tuesday - Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
For more information call the golf shop at 262-242-2470 or email Golf.Shop@RiverClubofMequon.com.
The River Club’s two state of the art simulators from AboutGolf enable individuals or groups to select from 42 different courses, including; The Old Course at St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, Harbour Town, Spyglass and the TPC at Sawgrass or Scottsdale. The simulators measure ball speed, launch angle, back- and sidespin, carry distance, total yardage and clubface position as well as shot classification; straight, hook or slice.
One golf simulator is located next to the Aftermath and the other one is located upstairs near the Nines Restaurant.
Please Click Here to view more information on our Nines golf simulator which is open for public play.